Wednesday, January 19, 2011

Trying to post something new everyday...

I'm going to do my best to put something new up everyday. Whether it something I learned, or we did something cool with dinner. Being consistent will be the key.

So for today...

Homemade popcorn.

So I was making a run to the grocery store before the snow storm hit us and found a combination extra virgin olive and canola oil, it was also loaded with omega 3's and DHA's very cool. So instead of making microwave popcorn with all the extra junk I made some in a skillet on the stove, tossed it with a little garlic powder and salt, blammo instant good for you snack. Plus it had none of the bad fat you'd get in normal microwave popcorn.We also made our own chex mix yesterday, way better than the store bought too.

1 comment:

exconsulto said...

When I was a kid, no one had heard of microwave popcorn. We always made it in a saucepan on the stove. The first microwave oven we saw was in the window of an downtown (Manhattan, KS) appliance and music store called Conde's and they baked cupcakes in it for all of us to watch. We thought it was some kind of magic, and that was back in the late 1950s, I think. I didn't get a microwave until 1980 and didn't try microwave popcorn until a few years ago. I think the homemade variety is a lot heathier, especially because you can control the kind and amount of fat and salt.